Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A response to the death of Bin Laden

I went to bed Sunday night not aware of the news of Usama Bin Laden's death. It wasn't until Monday morning with the kids off to school that I finally turned the T.V. on to watch the morning news programs. It was then that I learned what the whole world seemed to be discussing. I watched in amazement and I was utterly speechless. I listened for details...the who, what, when, where, and the how. I watched as the programs cut from location to location showing the celebrations taking place across our country. And then I went to work.

I tried to listen to talk radio to get more details, picking up bits and pieces, but by mid-morning I was too busy to listen anymore. Late afternoon found me checking facebook and twitter just to see what people were saying. I found social media divided by response just as I found the traditional media divided. I have to admit, it has taken this long for my thoughts to come together, to be able to process all of the information. But what I keep returning to is this question: "How should a Christian respond to the news?"

Speaking personally, I am glad as an American that justice has been served, but as a Christian I am saddened by the fact that most likely Bin Laden left this world a unrepentant sinner. As I thought about my feelings, I thought back to that Sunday following 9.11.01. I stood in the pulpit facing my congregation; many who had raised a flag earlier that week in support of our nation. I stated to the congregation that as an American I was furious that this could happen. (Later on Toby Keith's song "Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue" came out, summing up many Americans thoughts.) But, I told the congregation, as Christians we need to pray that Bin Laden (and other Muslims) have the opportunity to respond positively to the gospel message.

I have to admit that I probably didn't get a lot of "AMENS" from that response, but it was what I felt was the biblical response to the situation. All these years later, my thoughts remain the same. Without citing particular Scripture for my "proof-texting", let me say clearly that I believe the Bible teaches that God has ordained governments to carry out the punishment of criminals. If a law is broken, then justice is to be served. Clearly, Bin Laden was a mass-murderer who needed to be stopped. I am thankful that our military had the opportunity and that we had leaders who were willing to make the difficult decision to carry out the operation.

At the same time, my first allegiance is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords who tells us to pray for our enemies, who tells us to take the gospel to all nations, and who tells us that He does not rejoice in the death of the wicked. No, God's desire is all of those who are created in His image (including terrorists) would respond in faith to His offer of salvation. Though, through human eyes, Bin Laden's sins might be more heinous than mine, I am just as much in need of a Savior as Bin Laden was.

That said, I don't believe Christians should be dancing in the streets over his death, nor should we be celebrating over his death. Let us as Christians find satisfaction that justice has been served, pray that his death opens the door for the gospel to be unhindered in being shared, and weep for those that leave this world apart from Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment