Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Christian American or American Christian

If you watch television news, read a newspaper, a news magazine, or basically just do not have your head in the sand, you are aware of the financial crisis the USA now faces. You probably have heard also that many other nations are in crisis as well. In this country, as is usually the case, the politicians have come out pointing the blame at the "other" party. Everyone pontificates about how "their" party could solve all the issues if the "other" party would not be so stubborned and bull-headed.

These discussions usually turn to all the other problems facing our nation and how the right political party (read "their" party) could fix all these things if they had complete control in Washington. This rhetoric usually reaches a crescendo right around election time as you see each candidate trying to rally the base of their party and woo swing votes.

This is also usually the time when you start hearing about the Religious Right or Evangelical Voters. In addition, we hear why each candidate is the right candidate because of where they stand on the "hot-button" issues. You will hear rhetoric such as "A Christian can't vote Democrat!" in hopes to guilt people into voting for Republican candidates. You might also hear statements such as "separation of church and state" in an effort to keep religion out of politics.

This raises a question that I feel with which many people struggle. Am I to be a Christian American or an American Christian? Now you might ask what is the difference and is it not just a matter of semantics, and you could be correct. Personally, I believe that there is a difference, and it is a big one. Basically, I am asking which term defines me the most.

We live in a time in which Christianity in America has become a social religion (at least in the South, which is my context). To be a good American means I love God, country, and mama. It means I work hard, raise a family, pay my taxes, and am a well behaved citizen. Is this the way the Christian faith is described in Christian Scripture?

Do not misunderstand me; I thank God I was born in the United States and that I have the freedoms provided to me. But with this privilege comes a great responsibility. I should not use this privilege as a rite of passage that allows me to look down on others in pride. Nor should I wear it as a badge of honor that exempts me from helping those around me here at home and globally.

I believe the Christian Scriptures call us first to be citizens of God's kingdom and then citizens of a sovereign nation. So while we should be concerned about the status of our nation and about providing a future for our descendants barring Christ's return; we should be more concerned with fulfilling Christ's command to make disciples among all the nations. That should be our chief business; it should not be getting a politician we disagree with out of office.

Our political landscape is not a black and white issue; it is much messier than that. As a friend of mine said to me last week, why can't Christians be concerned with saving unborn babies AND taking care of abandoned or under-provided children? Why can't Christians be concerned with cutting unnecessary spending AND providing services for those Have-Nots in our country?

Christians are called to love mercy, act justly, and walking humbly before God. Christians are called to be salt and light to a dark world. Christians are called to be in this world, but not of this world. Last time I checked, this does not fit neatly into any political party within this great nation of ours. It is time to stop the bickering and fighting, it is time to stop pointing fingers, and it is time to start praying if you have not already.

It was Billy Graham I believe that was quoted one time in regards to being asked if he had ever considered running for President. His reply was no, why should he take a step down. His point was that he had a higher calling, which I believe extends to all Christians.

I am tired of all the fighting and name-calling, I am tired of being a political chip to be used in someone's campaign, and I am tired of Christians becoming distracted from our true calling. This world is NOT my home, I'm just passing through. And on my way through, I'm going to tell as many people as I can about my Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment